Seeking parser generator topics

terry@cs.tamu.edu (Terry Escamilla)
Fri, 24 Aug 90 14:06:35 CDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Seeking parser generator topics terry@cs.tamu.edu (1990-08-24)
Re: Seeking parser generator topics burley@world.std.com (1990-08-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: terry@cs.tamu.edu (Terry Escamilla)
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 14:06:35 CDT
Bogus: Keywords; parse, question, yacc

I am interested in designing a parser generator tool using object-oriented
approaches. For example, one could completely write a parser generator in
Eiffel, regardless of the output language for the parser itself. The
question, though, is how to come up with an interesting slant to the topic
so that it is sufficient for a dissertation. Some ideas that I have
include:

- reusable components for creating similar parser generator tools,

- extending the concept of grammar inheritance proposed by
    Aksit, et. al., from University of Twente in the Netherlands, or

- making every component of the grammar an object with multiple attributes
    for grammar symbols (contrary to YACC), thus giving a very fine grain of
    reusability (though I don't know what one would do with this).

Another possibility is to take an OO approach for compiler specifications.
I am unfamiliar with current research in building a compiler which is
specified by its grammar and a formal semantics. However, there may be
some potential for OOP in this approach as well.

Thanks for any ideas,

Terry Escamilla
terry@cs.tamu.edu