Re: Semicolons (Re: Low-Rent Syntax)

trt@rti.rti.org (Thomas Truscott)
24 Aug 90 01:40:41 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Semicolons (Re: Low-Rent Syntax) bart@videovax.tv.tek.com (Bart Massey) (1990-08-13)
Re: Semicolons (Re: Low-Rent Syntax) codex!peterd@uunet.UU.NET (1990-08-20)
Semicolons (Re: Low-Rent Syntax) thomasm@llama.ingres.com (1990-08-22)
Re: Semicolons (Re: Low-Rent Syntax) trt@rti.rti.org (1990-08-24)
Re: Semicolons (Re: Low-Rent Syntax) mjr@decuac.DEC.COM (1990-08-25)
Re: Semicolons (Re: Low-Rent Syntax) bart@videovax.tv.tek.com (Bart Massey) (1990-08-26)
Re: Semicolons (Re: Low-Rent Syntax) elsie!ado@uunet.UU.NET (1990-08-27)
Re: Semicolons (Re: Low-Rent Syntax) anw@maths.nott.ac.uk (1990-08-29)
Re: Semicolons (Re: Low-Rent Syntax) liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (1990-09-03)
Re: Semicolons (Re: Low-Rent Syntax) firth@sei.cmu.edu (1990-09-05)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: trt@rti.rti.org (Thomas Truscott)
Date: 24 Aug 90 01:40:41 GMT

> > while( x );/* a nasty case */
> > x--;
>
> The real problem here is not with the semicolon, it is with the grammar
> production that dominates C and Pascal:

The problem is with the compiler that fails to issue warnings about the
obvious problems with the above code:

prog.c: line 12: degenerate "while" loop
prog.c: line 13: dubious indentation level.

Tinkering with language syntax can go only a short distance towards
stamping out the bugs that typical code contains. Syntax restrictions
would be hard put to catch bugs such as:

prog.c: line 20: variable "i" may be used before set

p = malloc(strlen(s));
^
prog.c: line 32: was "strlen(s) + 1" intended?

I believe this type of diagnostic assistance, fueled by examples of
typical errors, is far more effective than adding syntactic handcuffs. I
was quite surprised to learn, this evening, of a C compiler that actually
does this level of diagnostic analysis. (Along with convenient options to
control the degree of nit-picking). Perhaps if it becomes widely
available (and demanded), compilers for other languages will do it too, to
catch errors such as:

while ( x )
y--;
endwhile;

Tom Truscott
[Which compiler is it? And when I really do want to write a degenerate
while loop, how do I tell it not to complain? -John]