Re: Intermediate Representation

larus@primost.cs.wisc.edu (James Larus)
Sun, 12 Aug 90 13:48:22 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Intermediate Representation napi@rangkom.MY (1990-08-07)
Re: Intermediate Representation briscoe-duke@CS.YALE.EDU (Duke Briscoe) (1990-08-08)
Re: Intermediate Representation preston@rice.edu (Preston Briggs) (1990-08-08)
Re: Intermediate Representation mod@westford.ccur.com (Michael O'Donnell (508)392-2915) (1990-08-09)
Re: Intermediate Representation grover@brahmand.Eng.Sun.COM (1990-08-09)
Re: Intermediate Representation preston@titan.rice.edu (1990-08-10)
Re: Intermediate Representation larus@primost.cs.wisc.edu (1990-08-12)
Re: Intermediate Representation grover@brahmand.Eng.Sun.COM (1990-08-12)
Re: Intermediate Representation hankd@dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu (1990-08-12)
Re: Intermediate Representation jouvelot@brokaw.lcs.mit.edu (1990-08-12)
Re: Intermediate Representation convex!csmith@uunet.UU.NET (1990-08-12)
Re: Intermediate Representation preston@titan.rice.edu (1990-08-13)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: larus@primost.cs.wisc.edu (James Larus)
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 90 13:48:22 GMT

In my opinion (a phrase sadly missing from other replies to this message),
both RTL and AST/DAG representations are equivalent for a compiler designed
and written for a single machine. I base this belief on having written or
worked on compilers that use both types of IR. Both forms represent the
program in a form that is easy to traverse and manipulate. However, I don't
believe that the equivalence holds for retargetable compilers. RTL appears
to be a much better IR for retargetable code generators. The
Davidson-Fraser approach produces fast, practical code generators while the
retargetable CG for ASTs are still mainly university projects.

A more interesting question is: how would you demonstrate that one approach
is superior to the other one? If computer science was a science, we could
just lock up a sample of programmers in a room and have them write a
compiler of a randomly-choosen type and compare the final products.

/Jim