lex error "Compiler Design and Construction"

rdfloyd@ceaport.UUCP (Randy Floyd)
Thu, 09 Aug 90 19:05:42 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
lex error "Compiler Design and Construction" rdfloyd@ceaport.UUCP (1990-08-09)
Re: lex error "Compiler Design and Construction" vern@cs.cornell.edu (1990-08-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions,comp.compilers
From: rdfloyd@ceaport.UUCP (Randy Floyd)
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 90 19:05:42 GMT

In "Compiler Design and Construction" by: Authur B. Pyster (second edition)

On page 67 there is a small lex for part of C syntax but when I try to run
it through FLEX I get an error.

Syntax error at line 38: bad iteration values

the definition of char and line 38 follow:

char \'([^'\n]|\\[ntrbrf'\n]|\\0[0-7]{0,2})+\'

line 38:

{char} return token(CHARLIT);

now!!!

Can a kind soul please give me a rundown of the definition line
for char and tell me why I might be getting this message.

BTW: I am new to lex/yacc but learning.
thanks for any help!!

rdfloyd@ceaport
[This is a pretty gross way to define a character constant, but I don't
see anything obviously wrong with it, other than that it matches things
like '\000' ambiguously. -John]