Re: Request pointers to compilers for `finite state machines'

Mark Carroll <>
Mon, 06 Aug 90 18:52:32 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Request pointers to compilers for `finite state machines' tfd!kent@uunet.UU.NET (1990-08-05)
Re: Request pointers to compilers for `finite state machines' (Mark Carroll) (1990-08-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Mark Carroll <>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 90 18:52:32 GMT

In article <> tfd!kent@uunet.UU.NET (Kent Hauser) writes:
>I'm looking for reference material (and of course examples) for compilers
>used to implement `finite state machines'.
>My specific applications are telephone signaling and data communications
>protocols. The engines for the two differ in that the former would be
>implemented by scanning at a fixed rate & changing state based on signaling
>state, etc. The latter is more event driven (with timeout being one type of

I'd suggest looking at Estelle. Estelle is a language used to specify
network protocols. The protocol is specified in terms of communicating
modules, where the behavior of each module is described by a FSM. It
sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

To find out more about Estelle, try:

title="An Introduction to Estelle:\
A Specification Language for Distributed Systems",
author=" P. Dembinski and S. Budkowski",
journal="Computer Networks and ISDN Systems",