Re: Recognizing complicated patterns
Mon, 06 Aug 90 18:48:34 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Recognizing complicated patterns (Ralph Johnson) (1990-08-01)
Re: Recognizing complicated patterns (1990-08-06)
Re: Recognizing complicated patterns pd@complex.Eng.Sun.COM (1990-08-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
In-Reply-To:'s message of 1 Aug 90 13:06:05 GMT
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 90 18:48:34 GMT

I'm jumping into this thread without having seen what went before, and I'm
also at home so I can't use my bookshelf to double check my memory, but I seem
to recall that someone did a PhD thesis in the last ten years that indeed
could match patterns for rather complex instructions, though I am not sure
about loops (I do think it tried for block moves and such, so maybe loops are
included?). My recollection comes up with Rick Cattell's thesis, but I could
be wrong about that. Further comments? (And maybe I'll try to find his thesis
among my books when I'm next in my office ....) Eliot

J. Eliot B. Moss, Assistant Professor
Lederle Graduate Research Center
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003