Announcing the University of Washington Program Illustrator

rrh@cs.washington.edu (Robert R. Henry)
Thu, 05 Jul 90 15:47:14 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Announcing the University of Washington Program Illustrator rrh@cs.washington.edu (1990-07-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: rrh@cs.washington.edu (Robert R. Henry)
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 90 15:47:14 GMT

We are pleased to announce the availability of the University of
Washington Program Illustrator (UWPI), also known as the illustrating
compiler. UWPI reads some kinds of simple Pascal programs and then
automatically constructs an illustration of the program. UWPI has been
used to automatically animate classical array searching and sorting
algorithms, graph searching algorithms, and some tree manipulation
algorithms.

UWPI is a RESEARCH system, has many known bugs, and comes with
ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEES. We are distributing it in its present state
because we will not longer be able to continue work on it, and because
people may find it useful for teaching and research.

UWPI has been described in a recent paper presented at the ACM/SIGPLAN
Programming Languages Design and Implementation Conference in June,
1990. For additional details on the system, please read:

Robert R Henry, Kenneth M. Whaley Bruce Forstall. "The University of
Washington Illustrating Compiler", ACM/SIGPLAN Programming Language
Design and Implementation Conference, White Plains, New York, June
1990. Reprinted in "SIGPLAN Notices" (25)6, pages 223-233.

UWPI is implemented in 18Klines of Common Lisp, and requires the CLX
package to talk with X11.R4 servers. If you do not know Common Lisp,
then your attempts to get the package running may be frustrating. The
system has been developed using Franz Inc's Allegro Common Lisp, and is
known to run well on VAXstations, DECstations and Sun3s running the uwm
window manager. It may work on other systems.

At present, the software is available ONLY by using anonymous ftp
conventions to june.cs.washington.edu, to do a binary get of the file
pub/uwpi.tar.Z, which you must then (un)compress and (un)tar, in
the standard manner. CLX is NOT distributed with uwpi. You must
get this either from MIT (as part of the X11.R4 release), or from
your lisp vendor.

IF YOU TAKE A COPY OF THE SOFTWARE PLEASE SEND MAIL TO
rrh@cs.washington.edu TELLING ME THAT YOU HAVE A COPY. Any comments
are welcome, although it is unlikely that I will be able to act on
them.

I am going on an extended vacation from June 29 through August 15th, so
if you have questions or problems with UWPI they will have to wait
until I get back. We may be able to distribute UWPI on magnetic media
after this time.

Robert R. Henry (Assistant Professor)
rrh@cs.washington.edu
310 Sieg Hall
Computer Science and Engineering Department, FR-35
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195 USA
206 685 1934

Copyright (C) 1989, 1990 Robert R. Henry, Kenneth M. Whaley, Bruce Forstall

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for educational, research, and non-profit purposes and
without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice
appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this
permission notice appear in supporting documentation, and that the name
of the University of Washington not be used in advertising or publicity
pertaining to distribution of the software without specific, written
prior permission. Permission to incorporate this software into
commercial products can be obtained from the Office of Technology
Transfer, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 98195. Neither Robert
R. Henry, Kenneth M. Whaley, Bruce Forstall nor the University of
Washington make any representations about the suitability of this
software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or
implied warranty.