Re: Parallel FORTRAN bite (Charles H. Sampson)
Mon, 11 Jun 90 19:17:54 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parallel FORTRAN bite (1990-05-30)
Re: Parallel FORTRAN bite (1990-06-11)
Re: Parallel FORTRAN bite (1990-06-12)
Parallel Fortran bite (1990-06-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.lang.misc,comp.compilers
From: (Charles H. Sampson)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 90 19:17:54 GMT

In article <> (David Keppel) writes:
> DOALL I = 1, N
> [appeared to the Connection Machine compiler to be]
> DO ALLI = 1, N

          Just to clarify a "fine" point, in ANSI FORTRAN '77, the construct

(spaces are null in FORTRAN) is defined to mean

                                                      DO ALLI = 1, N

(spaces are still null, but I hope my meaning is clear). Therefore, the
so-called DOALL extension has changed the semantics of standard FORTRAN,
rather than extending the language. The shuttle people might have a right
to be peeved, but they shouldn't direct their displeasure at the CM FORTRAN

[I agree, adding ambiguous syntax that can change the meaning of an existing
legal program is not good language design. The entire issue of parallel
extensions to Fortran and to C is a hot topic -- I get lots of interesting
mailings from the Numerical C Extensions Group. -John]
[From (Charles H. Sampson)]