Re: DEC optimising Modula-2 compiler (Eliot Moss)
Thu, 7 Jun 90 17:14:43 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
DEC optimising Modula-2 compiler (1990-06-01)
Re: DEC optimising Modula-2 compiler (1990-06-05)
Re: DEC optimising Modula-2 compiler (1990-06-06)
Re: DEC optimising Modula-2 compiler (1990-06-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Eliot Moss)
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 17:14:43 GMT
In-Reply-To:'s message of 6 Jun 90 14:57:11 GMT

A couple of notes regarding Dirk's mention of a "Modula-3 to C translator":

1) It is *not* a simple translator, but a true compiler whose target language
happens to be C rather than assembly. (Dirk may have known that; the word
translator is a little ambiguous, though, so I thought I would offer

2) The Modula-3 compiler is, I believe, descended from a Modula-2+ compiler at
DEC SRC (with earlier work also done at DEC WRL, I believe). Greg Nelson
( can tell you more about its relationship to other
compilers developed in DEC's research labs.

The Modula-3 compiler is alive and well and almost up to version 1.5. I
suspect it is not highly optimizing, but relies on the C compiler for a lot of
the optimizations. My research group at UMass is working on Gnu Modula-3 using
the Gnu C back end, so it will be a native optimizing compiler (first target
is VAX, but gm3 should be about as easily ported as gcc). Cheers!

J. Eliot B. Moss, Assistant Professor
Lederle Graduate Research Center
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003