Some particular lint problem (Paulo Rosado)
Thu, 7 Jun 90 01:09:30 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Some particular lint problem (1990-06-07)
Re: Some particular lint problem (1990-06-08)
Re: Some particular lint problem (1990-06-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Paulo Rosado)
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 01:09:30 GMT

I was given this medium-size system with about 15 *.c modules and respective
*.h ones, to extend. The program was developed in an incremental not nicely
way so _every_ c module includes _every_ h file. I want to rearrange this and
define exactly what is defined/used by whom, at least, in order to get a
better profit from the make utility.

Ok, what'd like to know if there is some kind of lint utility who could output
a list of types, vars, macros and functions used but not defined in a module.
Also, if anyone knows where I can find a lex/yacc C grammar that would be
nice. That way I could build my own utility with less effort.

Of course if everyone has some different approachs to achieve the main
objective I'll be glad to hear them.

I apologize if this not the right group to post this kind request but it
sounded suitable.

Thanks in advance.

paulo rosado _ Centro de Inteligencia Artificial Uninova
email: -- pr@unl.uucp
snail: Fac. de Ciencias e Tecnologia-UNL, 2825 Monte de Caparica, PORTUGAL
[A reasonable request. For functions, cross-referencing the object files is
a simple way to find out who defines and uses what; it is quite easy to build
a crossreferencer with nm, sort, and awk. Beyond that, there's cscope, a
funky but very useful crossreference utility that comes with System V.3.2, but
I haven't seen anything to mark preprocessor definitions and uses by module.