Re: Compiler Design in C how about it?

Brian Rice <rice@DG-RTP.DG.COM>
Fri, 1 Jun 90 23:51:24 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler Design in C How about it? eve@tnoibbc.ibbc.tno.nl (1990-05-30)
Re: Compiler Design in C How about it? preston@rice.edu (Preston Briggs) (1990-06-01)
Re: Compiler Design in C how about it? rice@DG-RTP.DG.COM (Brian Rice) (1990-06-01)
Re: Compiler Design in C How about it? markh@squirrel.labs.tek.com (Mark Henderson) (1990-06-04)
Re: Compiler Design in C How about it? tbrakitz@phoenix.princeton.edu (1990-06-04)
Re: Compiler Design in C How about it? mike@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (1990-06-05)
Re: Compiler Design in C How about it? napi@rangkom.MY (1990-08-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Brian Rice <rice@DG-RTP.DG.COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 90 23:51:24 GMT

In article <1990May31.160821.3007@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us>, eve@tnoibbc.ibbc.tno.nl (Edwin van Ek) writes:
> Can anyone give me an unbiased opinion about the book Compiler Design in C
> by A. Holub. ...

I bought the book when it first became available (about two and a half months
ago, if my memory serves me). I like it O.K.--it explains things in a way
which I can understand (I'm not a compiler scholar), and the example programs
are detailed and interesting. And, of course, knowing that the author has an
e-mail address and reads comp.compilers is a big plus.

However, I really wish I had waited a few months to buy the book. The copy I
have has a whole lot of typographical errors...not only are the errors
distracting, but also I feel like a sucker for having forked over my US$50 for
the book before Prentice- Hall bothered to run a spelling-checker over the
damn thing.

God willing, they might have done so by now.

Brian Rice rice@dg-rtp.dg.com (919) 248-6328
DG/UX Product Assurance Engineering
Data General Corp., Research Triangle Park, N.C.