Re: No Aliasing Compile Option (James Larus)
29 May 90 13:55:27 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: No Aliasing Compile Option markro@microsoft.UUCP (1990-05-25)
Re: No Aliasing Compile Option (1990-05-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (James Larus)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 May 90 13:55:27 GMT

Let me stick in a plug for some work that I've done recently. Univ. of
Wisconsin Computer Science Tech Report #929** contains some measurements of
6 C programs (including gcc). The measurements were done to estimate the
potential parallelism of the programs, but as a side-effect, I measured the
number and type of loop-carried data dependences in the program. These
dependences are very frequent and give an indication of the consequences of
blindly ignoring aliases and heavily optimizing a program.

** Copies available from Kathy Schultz ( or

Technical Reports Librarian
Computer Sciences Department
University of Wisconsin
1210 W. Dayton St.