compiler optimization level

kaleb@mars.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kaleb Keithley)
21 Mar 90 23:12:28 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler optimization level kaleb@mars.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (1990-03-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: kaleb@mars.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Kaleb Keithley)
Date: 21 Mar 90 23:12:28 GMT

Here's our setup: Sun 4, SunOS 4.0.3, X11R4, fixes 1 through 6 (I know, four
and five are Apollo and IBM, and six is xterm.)

I'm about to try compiling the Xsun Server with optimization level 3 and/or 4.
The default is 2 on Sun 4s. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.

I'm relatively new (9 months) to Suns, is there any reason why I should not
do this?

What, if any, performance change can I expect? Performance is already quite
good on this platform (we have two 4/260s and a 4/370; ten and sixteen MIPS

If there is enough interest/response, I'll summarize. Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley