Re: Register Allocation (Diomidis Spinellis)
Tue, 27 Feb 90 13:02:55 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[24 earlier articles]
register allocation (1989-11-22)
Re: register allocation larus@primost.wisc.EDU (1989-11-24)
Register Allocation napi@rangkom.MY (1990-02-17)
Re: Register Allocation (1990-02-15)
Re: Register Allocation (1990-02-26)
Re: Register Allocation (1990-02-25)
Re: Register Allocation (1990-02-27)
Register Allocation (1993-03-31)
Register Allocation (1993-08-31)
Re: Register Allocation (1993-09-06)
Register Allocation (Ashish Ashtekar) (1996-04-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 13:02:55 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: (Diomidis Spinellis)

In article <> (Herman Rubin) writes:
>In article <>, napi@rangkom.MY (Mohd Hanafiah b. Abdullah) writes:
>> How does one perform register allocation on scalar variables that may
>> be pointed to by others?
>and I have no difficulty using machine language. The only mainframes whose
>instruction set I have known which are appropriately set up in hardware for
>this are the long obsolete UNIVAC 1108 and 1110.
>[The PDP-10/DEC-20 has addressable registers as well, but as pointed out
>elsewhere that's only a small part of the problem. As soon as you call
>another routine, it's liable to save the register and put something else
>there, and you lose. -John]

Addressing registers is possible in the Texas Instruments TM 990 series
of minis and TMS-9900, TMS-9950 microprocessors. All 16 general
purpose registers are in a memory block pointed by a single processor
register the workspace pointer. With some care one can implement
register windowing. Saving the registers is then just a change of the
workspace pointer; pointers that point to registers in previous stack
frames still point to the correct object. On the 9995 the registers can
be located on on-chip RAM, so the performance is not affected by the cost
of external memory accesses.

Diomidis Spinellis Internet:
Department of Computing UUCP: ...!ukc!iccc!dds
Imperial College JANET:
London SW7 2BZ