801 and Berkeley RISC

rrh@cs.washington.edu (Robert R. Henry)
Sun, 11 Feb 90 11:04:52 -0800

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
801 and Berkeley RISC rrh@cs.washington.edu (1990-02-11)
Re: 801 and Berkeley RISC henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1990-02-12)
Re: 801 and Berkeley RISC wendyt@june.cs.washington.edu (1990-02-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 90 11:04:52 -0800
From: rrh@cs.washington.edu (Robert R. Henry)

The compilers moderator writes in response to a message by dgb:
> [Keep in mind that the IBM 801 project, the original RISC work, closely
> involved John Cocke, Fran Allen, and other compiler experts. The PL.8
> compiler that was part of that effort is still a serious contender for
> world's best optimizing compiler. It has been retargeted for lots of
> different machines, evidently without a whole lot of work. The
> Berkeley project as far as I can tell involved no compiler people at
> all, which appears to me to be the reason that they invented register
> windows, being unaware of how good a job of register management a
> compiler can do. -John]

Could you provide leads on "lots of different machines"? My understanding
of the 801 compiler (now very very dated) is that ported versions of the
compiler treated microprocessors as a RISC machine, and ended up doing
a lousy job of using addressing modes.

Register windows >were< invented by two compiler people, Peter Kessler
and Dan Halbert; they were looking for an easy way to pass parameters
in order to simplify that part of the compiler.

Robert Henry
[I'll look it up, see subsequent article. -John]