Re:_Compiler_Design_in_C_: is it a good book?

jemarchese@srv.PacBell.COM (Jeff Marchese)
Wed, 31 Jan 90 14:33:18 PST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
_Compiler_Design_in_C_: is it a good book? uucibg@swbatl.swbt.com (1990-01-25)
Re:_Compiler_Design_in_C_: is it a good book? jemarchese@srv.PacBell.COM (1990-01-31)
Re: _Compiler_Design_in_C_: is it a good book? holub@violet.berkeley.edu (1990-02-13)
Re: _Compiler_Design_in_C_: is it a good book? ken@minster.york.ac.uk (1990-03-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 90 14:33:18 PST
From: jemarchese@srv.PacBell.COM (Jeff Marchese)

>Brian R. Gilstrap writes:
>Does anyone know anything about this book? The blurb from Prentice Hall
>says:

>_Compiler_Design_in_C_
>by Allen J. Holub
>500 pp.
>Jan. 1990

I have not seen the book, but, I have taken several courses from Allen
Holub at the UC Berkeley Extension.

The Compiler Design course he taught was excellent. Much of the material
he used in the class was intended for the book. This course material was
very helpful and well written.

Allen is extremely skilled in C and Compilers. Most readers of his column
"The C Chest" in the OLD "Dr. Dobbs Journal" will attest to this.

Allen's previous book "The C Companion" is a great companion text for
C programmers. I recommend this book to anyone who has some knowledge of
programming and C and wants more detailed information of the `inner workings'
of the language.

While I haven't seen his latest book, I would imagine that it would be
worth your while to check it out.
__
Jeff Marchese
(415)823-5163