dynamic optimisation -- summary

Liam Quin <lee@sq.sq.com>
Sun, 26 Nov 89 23:40:23 EST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
dynamic optimisation -- summary lee@sq.sq.com (Liam Quin) (1989-11-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Liam Quin <lee@sq.sq.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 89 23:40:23 EST

I asked whether there were any compilers (esp. on Unix) which took into
account statistics gathered from profiling runs when optimising programs.

For example, if a program does the "else" branch of an if-else 98.7% of the
time (on the test runs), it makes sense to re-order the code so that the
extra jump happns only on the "if" branch. Again, registers can be assigned
to the most heavily used registers.
I also asked if anyone thought it would be worth adding to GNU gcc.

Here are the replies I received (there were also requests for information):

| From: Sam Midkiff <uiucdcs!uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu!midkiff>
| Univ. of Illinois

| The only thing remotely related to this that I've heard of is some work done
| at IBM TJ Watson, on the PTOOL project. They are (or are planning on) using
| some timing information from actual runs to assist in scheduling code in
| later runs. Note that PTOOL is a parallelizing compiler. If you are
| interested I'll try and come up with a reference.

| @@

| From: Ge' Weijers <uiucdcs!sci.kun.nl!ge>

| A friend of mine is working on his masters thesis, and he has done some related
| work for a language called CDL2. This language is open-ended, and about
| the only thing the language contains itself is flow-of-control. It uses
| a macro mechanism for everything else. e.g. the addition is defined as

| FUNCTION add + >x + >y + z> =
| "$L addl3 " x "," y "," z.

| for a VAX. (the + means 'affix' or 'parameter', not addition)

| The language system performs optimisations like inline substitution,
| (user-indicated, or if the procedure is trivial or called only once)
| code replication, global register allocation (and I mean GLOBAL, the whole
| program) etc. The language is quite minimalist, but this makes exhaustive
| optimisation possible.

| The optimisation tried by this friend was to record which branches were taken
| in a program, and (after a number of runs) to reorganise the program in such
| a way that conditional branch instructions are most likely not to perform
| a jump, but to continue directly with the following instruction. He was a
| little disappointed to find that he could only gain about 10% at the most
| with this kind of optimisation, and this for already highly optimised code.

| For RISC processors using a one-instruction delay before jumping this
| result might even be negative as on some processors a successful jump
| is faster than an unsuccessful one if the delay slot can be filled with
| a useful instruction.

| It might be useful to measure which statements are evaluated most, and then
| use these statistics to influence the generation of spill code in a
| graph-colouring register allocator. I don't know of any research in this
| direction though. (Usually the body of a loop is supposed to be evaluated
| N times, which the register allocator then uses as the evaluation count).

| I hope the stuff above has been of some use to you.

| Ge' Weijers Internet/UUCP: ge@cs.kun.nl
| Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science, (uunet.uu.net!cs.kun.nl!ge)
| University of Nijmegen, Toernooiveld 1
| 6525 ED Nijmegen, the Netherlands tel. +3180612483 (UTC-2)

| @@

| From: uiucdcs!Princeton.EDU!mg (Michael Golan)
| Specifically, I really wonder if anyone has an algorithm for
| register allocation
| under "not equal prbability" of branches (i.e. if-then-else). Note that the
> [...]

Lee

Liam R. Quin, Unixsys (UK) Ltd [note: not an employee of "sq" - a visitor!]
lee@sq.com (Whilst visiting Canada from England, until Christmas)
utai!anduk.uucp!lee (after Christmas)