LEX and YACC -- Are there better parser generators?

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin)
4 Nov 89 16:49:11 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
LEX and YACC -- Are there better parser generators? turpin@cs.utexas.edu (1989-11-04)
Re: LEX and YACC -- Are there better parser generators? gmdka!grosch@uunet.UU.NET (1989-11-07)
Re: LEX and YACC -- Are there better parser generators? fjb@metaware.metaware.com (1989-11-08)
Re: LEX and YACC -- Are there better parser generators? daven@ibmpcug.co.uk (D R Newman) (1989-11-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Posted-Date: 4 Nov 89 16:49:11 GMT
From: turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.edu
Date: 4 Nov 89 16:49:11 GMT

Here's the real question: are there better parser generators than
yacc and lex which are easily available on Unix systems, ie,
available on a broad range of systems, robust, and either free or
not too expensive. "Better" can mean several things.

    o Producing a more efficient parser.

    o Producing more portable C, or producing a parser in other
          languages, such as fortran.

    o Better and easier hooks for error handling.

    o Partial automation of the back-end using, for example,
          through attribute grammars.

If you have a candidate, why don't you tersely describe it, list
its advantages, and mention how it is available.

Russell
[I suggest Bob Corbett's PD Yacc and Vern Paxton's Flex. Send in your
suggestions and I'll digest them. -John]
[From turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin)]