compiler needs

pvi@polygen.uucp (Piotr Iwanow)
3 Oct 89 17:10:01 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compiler needs pvi@polygen.uucp (1989-10-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: pvi@polygen.uucp (Piotr Iwanow)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Oct 89 17:10:01 GMT

What I look for in a compiler. I will breakdown in importance descending order.
1: OPTIMIZATION. Compilers that do heavy optimaztion are quite slow in
      compilation time but make your final object code run much faster.

2: ASSEMBLY OUTPUT. I like to see how the system calls are done.

3: "Dual Mode". This means, that during development phase you want quick
      compiles and optimization is of not yet a concern to you until you are
      ready for final phase.

4: Integration between LEX, YACC, Make, dbx, and other debugging tools like
      XSaber-C.

Piotr Iwanow
Unix System Administrator PolyGen Corp.
[Personally, the first thing I look for is correct output. -John]