Re: use-def chains

Preston Briggs <preston@rice.edu>
Mon, 25 Sep 89 18:31:52 CDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
use-def chains preston@titan.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) (1989-09-18)
Re: use-def chains johnson@cs.uiuc.edu (Ralph Johnson) (1989-09-20)
Re: use-def chains preston@rice.edu (Preston Briggs) (1989-09-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Mon, 25 Sep 89 18:31:52 CDT
From: Preston Briggs <preston@rice.edu>

In article <1989Sep20.193824.999@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> you write:
>Static single assignment is very nice. We have been using it in our

Several people wrote in response to my original query (Thanks!).
Many wondered about references to static single assignment (SSA).
Here's the ref's I know of, for general consumption:

Alpern, Wegman, Zadeck
"Detecting equality of values in programs"
Proceedings of 15th POPL, 1988

Rosen, Wegman, Zadeck
"Global value numbers and redundant computations"
Proceedings of 15th POPL, 1988

Cytron, Ferrante, Rosen, Wegman, Zadeck
"An efficient method of computing static single assignment form"
Proceedings of 16th POPL, 1989

where POPL is Principles of Programming Languages.

The last paper is a way to compute the form. The others are ways to
use it. Generally, SSA seems like a feasible replacement for use-def
or def-use chains in (perhaps) any application. In many cases, it
seems to lead to asymptotic time improvements.

Preston Briggs
[From Preston Briggs <preston@rice.edu>]