Re: compiling for parallel machines (Deb Banerjee)
Fri, 4 Aug 89 11:20:24 EDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: compiling for parallel machines (1989-08-04)
Re: compiling for parallel machines (1989-08-05)
Re: compiling for parallel machines (1989-08-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 89 11:20:24 EDT
From: (Deb Banerjee)

Your suspicion about software rather than hardware being the challenge in
parallel programming systems may be correct.

I am working on high level programming languages & systems for SIMD machines
(I have the Connection Machine in mind).

"Partitioning and Scheduling parallel programs for multiprocessors"
Vivek Sarkar, MIT press 1989.
--based on his Ph.D thesis (1987).

"Optimizing Supercompilers for supercomputers"
Michael Wolfe, MIT press 1989.
--deals with dependence analysis etc.

IEEE Software July 1989 - is a special issue on Parallel Programming
environments and languages.

The state of the art in parallel languages is rather poor. The languages are
too low level - puts more burden on the programmer and the excessive detail
the programmer specifies prevents program optimizations; portability is out
of the question.

There has been quite a bit of work on Parallel programming environments.
Doesn't look very elegant most of the time.

Could you send me any other info you get. Hope you find this useful.

[From (Deb Banerjee)]