Re: Search for a smarter C cross reference.

mmengel@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Marc W. Mengel)
2 Jun 89 20:33:55 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Search for a smarter C cross reference. jbh@bnrunix.uucp (1989-06-01)
Re: Search for a smarter C cross reference. mmengel@cuuxb.ATT.COM (1989-06-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mmengel@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Marc W. Mengel)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c,comp.sources.wanted,comp.compilers
Date: 2 Jun 89 20:33:55 GMT

In article <4007@ima.ima.isc.com> jbh@bnrunix.uucp (John B. Hampton) writes:
> ... I would appreciate knowing of a similar xref for the C language...
> o Need source for the xref itself in C or executables runnable on
> Sun 4 and HP 9000/300.
> o The sizes and offsets should appear within a "normal" (cxref-
> type) cross reference listing along with other info.
> o Would be nice to have running totals in a listing beside the
> pertinent data items.

If you compile a program with the -g option, and run "nm" on
it, you will get a raw listing of the base information you
want here; piping the output to "awk" and "sort" should make
a pretty listing in the format you want. (i.e. to compute
running totals and/or group local variable names with their
enclosing function's name, etc.

--
  Marc Mengel mmengel@cuuxb.att.com
   attmail!mmengel