a practical UNCOL

Ralph Johnson <johnson@p.cs.uiuc.edu>
Thu, 18 May 89 09:57:08 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
a practical UNCOL johnson@p.cs.uiuc.edu (Ralph Johnson) (1989-05-10)
Re: a practical UNCOL pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel) (1989-05-13)
Re: a practical UNCOL ima!ico.ISC.com!rcd (Dick Dunn) (1989-05-17)
a practical UNCOL johnson@p.cs.uiuc.edu (Ralph Johnson) (1989-05-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Thu, 18 May 89 09:57:08 -0500
From: Ralph Johnson <johnson@p.cs.uiuc.edu>

Question from editor:
[Isn't this the same model that GCC uses, fairly successfully? In any event,
I wonder how well it addresses machines like the 360 and to some extent the
PDP-10 where there are register asymmetries, e.g. the famous 360 BXLE
instruction which does "r1 += r2, if r1 <= r3 goto x", but r2 and r3 have to
be in an even-odd register pair. I know that IBM's PL.8 uses a similar
scheme to generate 370 code, but believe that it has a lot of hints to help
put things in the right registers. I know that such instructions are now
considered old-fashioned, but there are a lot of old-fashioned machines. -John]

It is quite similar to the model that GCC uses. GCC has also been influenced
by the work of Robert Henry at U. of Washington.

Either our compiler or PO will handle instructions that combine assignments
with changes of control flow. I think that other table-driven code
generators, like Henry's, will also handle those kind of instructions.
The technique we use for register allocation will handle register asymmetries
with no problem. I don't recall how PO did it.

In our compiler, converting register transfers into machine instructions
creates constraints on register allocation. For example, when the register
transfer r3 = r1 + r2 gets converted to a 68020 ADD instruction, registers
r1 and r3 are constrained to be the same, because ADD is a two-address
instruction. If this constraint cannot be met (i.e. if r1 is used later)
then the register allocator will have to introduce a new logical register.
We use a graph-coloring based register allocation algorithm.
In general, these kinds of algorithms are good at handling constraints.

Ralph Johnson
[From Ralph Johnson <johnson@p.cs.uiuc.edu>]