Translator Writing Systems

hammondr@sungod.crd.ge.com (richard a hammond)
Tue, 9 May 89 14:14:01 EDT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Translator Writing Systems hammondr@sungod.crd.ge.com (1989-05-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Tue, 9 May 89 14:14:01 EDT
From: hammondr@sungod.crd.ge.com (richard a hammond)

I've recently moved and come upon a number of situations where I need
to write translators from one language/variant to another.

I remember talking to someone at the SIGPLAN '86 conference on compiler
construction about such tools, but that is all I remember and I haven't
unpacked enough to find my notes.

What I'm looking for is something that allows me to specify the input
language and the transformations and takes care of building things such
as symbol table management. It should produce code that can run on
UN*X workstations.

Any leads to either commmercial or university systems would be of interest.
I'll summarize my information to the list.

I've considered building the lexers/parsers, symbol table stuff, transformation
and output routines separately, that gets me down from N*M to N+M jobs,
but I expect the same set of problems as UNCOL and its successors have.

I believe that mail to me as hammondr@crd.ge.com should work, or
try hammondr@crd.steinmetz.ge.com

Thanks,
Rich Hammond