Re: Questions, concerns about ANDF

Zalman Stern <zs01+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Mon, 8 May 89 23:29:36 -0400 (EDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Questions, concerns about ANDF rcd@ico.ISC.com (Dick Dunn) (1989-05-05)
Re: Questions, concerns about ANDF zs01+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zalman Stern) (1989-05-08)
Re: Questions, concerns about ANDF henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1989-05-10)
Re: Questions, concerns about ANDF rnovak@mips.com (1989-05-11)
Re: Questions, concerns about ANDF sri@osf.osf.org (1989-05-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Mon, 8 May 89 23:29:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Zalman Stern <zs01+@andrew.cmu.edu>

I don't know much about the history of UNCOL. Perhaps someone could post a
brief summary or a list of references.

On the subject of the RFT:

If you are willing to pay enough performance, this goal seems attainable.
For example, software written in 80386 assembly language for an IBM PC
running MSDOS can now be executed on at least four different architectures.
(IBM RT, Motorola 680x0, SPARC, and of course the Intel 80386. There are
doubtlessly other which I don't know about). I wouldn't be surprised if one
of the submissions for this RFT comes from a company doing an 80386
"recompiler."

If nothing else, this should encourage some interesting proposals. If they
pull this off, it will make the OSF lots of money. If they don't, the
technical publicity is probably worth more than they would have paid in
advertising.

Sincerely,
Zalman Stern
Internet: zs01+@andrew.cmu.edu Usenet: I'm soooo confused...
Information Technology Center, Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890