Representation independent languages

gorry@majestix.liu.se (Goran Rydquist)
2 Apr 89 12:57:28 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Representation independent languages gorry@majestix.liu.se (1989-04-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: gorry@majestix.liu.se (Goran Rydquist)
Date: 2 Apr 89 12:57:28 GMT

Hi there, I am currently looking at the very interesting but curiously
anonymous area of languages that support representation independent data
structure facilities. The characteristic feature of such languages is that
they support algorithm specification that is independent of data structure
realization details.

The references I have found is listed below. A search through the Science
Citation Index on most of the referenced names resulted in NIL. Does anyone
know of any other work done in the area. Of particular interest is material
newer than the SETL paper (1981).

I will post a sumary of the answers I get.
----
Goran Rydqvist gorry@majestix.liu.se
Departement of Computer and Information Science, Linkoping University
S-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden
---

E. Schonberg, J. T. Schwartz, and M. Sharir, "An automatic technique for
selection of data representations in SETL programs", ACM Transactions on
Programming Languages and Systems, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 126-143, April 1981.

R. M. Balzer, "Dataless programming", Proceedings 1967 AFIPS Fall Joint
Computer Conference, Thompson Books, Washington, D.C., pp. 535-544., 1967.

M. E. D'Imperio, "Data structures and their representation in storage", Annual
Review on Automatic Programming, No. 5, pp 1-76, 1969.

J. Earley, "Toward an understanding of data structures", Communications of the
ACM, Vol. 14, No. 10, pp. 617-627, October 1971.

J. R. Low, "Automatic data structure selection: An example and an overview",
Communications of the ACM, Vol. 21, No. 15, pp. 376-385, May 1978.

G. H. Mealy, "Another look at data", Proceedings 1967 AFIPS Fall Joint
Computer Conference, Thompson Books, Washington, D.C., pp. 524-534, 1967.

M. Senko, E. Altman, M. Astrahan, and P. Fehder, "Data structures and
accessing data base systems", IBM Systems Journal, Vol. 12, pp. 30-93, 1973.