comparing compilers & architectures

Bill Smith <>
Thu, 16 Mar 89 21:55:59 -0600

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
comparing compilers & architectures (1989-03-15)
comparing compilers & architectures (Bill Smith) (1989-03-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 89 21:55:59 -0600
From: Bill Smith <>

>I see three possibilities for comparing [compilers and systems:
>1. compiler effectiveness
>2. architecture effectiveness
>3. compiler + architecture effectiveness

If you are a software developer, there are at least three additional
criteria for comparing systems:

4. Compile-time diagnostic messages and helpfulness
5. Run-time debugging support
6. Support for software engineering

These can be then factored into the 3 possibilities mentioned above: to compare
the effectiveness of the compiler, OS or the two together.

Speed isn't everything, but it is the easiest to measure.

Bill Smith