vector apl (and time vs space)

Tim Budd <budd@mist.CS.ORST.EDU>
Mon, 22 Aug 88 11:27:37 pdt

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
vector apl (and time vs space) budd@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Budd) (1988-08-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 88 11:27:37 pdt
From: Tim Budd <budd@mist.CS.ORST.EDU>

> [For people interested in APL compilation in general, see Tim's recent book
> "An APL Compiler" published by Springer. I reviewed it for Computing
> Surveys and found it pretty interesting. -John] (shouldn't that be CR?)

Don't go looking for this vector stuff there; there is a chapter on
compilers for vector processors, but it is basically a rehash of my TOPLAS
article of several years ago. Like all major projects, you no longer
finish it then you find a way you could have done it better. In my case,
the publication of the book resulted in several people coming to me with
questions and different ideas, which started me thinking again about a
problem I thought I was done with, and so on. So, in short, I'm now
working on algorithms for parallel APL which are totally different from
those described in the book.
--tim budd, oregon state university