Re: Optimization tradeoffs (time vs. space)

gbs@nsc.nsc.com (George Smith)
8 Aug 88 04:08:48 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Optimization tradeoffs (time vs. space) roy@phri.uucp (1988-08-01)
Re: Optimization tradeoffs (time vs. space) markhall@pyramid.pyramid.com (1988-08-05)
Re: Optimization tradeoffs (time vs. space) ames!coherent!dplatt@ncar.UCAR.EDU (1988-08-05)
Re: Optimization tradeoffs (time vs. space) tekcrl.tek.com!willc@RELAY.CS.NET (Will Clinger) (1988-08-06)
Re: Optimization tradeoffs (time vs. space) gbs@nsc.nsc.com (1988-08-08)
Optimization tradeoffs (time vs. space) midkiff@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (1988-08-09)
Re: Optimization tradeoffs (time vs. space) roy@phri.uucp (1988-08-10)
Re: Optimization tradeoffs (time vs. space) mmengel@cuuxb.ATT.COM (1988-08-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: gbs@nsc.nsc.com (George Smith)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Aug 88 04:08:48 GMT

In article <1896@ima.ISC.COM>, markhall@pyramid.pyramid.com (Mark Hall) writes:
> Anyone interested in the space vs. speed problem in optimization
> should (of course) read the classic:
>
> %A William A. Wulf
> %T The Design of an Optimizing Compiler
> %I ELSEVIER
> %C New York
> %D 1975

It is worse than my worst nightmare! Every time I read something about
compilers, I am referred to "that classic, Wulf etc" But is it available
to the general public? NoooOOOOooo! It is out of print and those lucky
people who have a copy don't let them out of their sight. I know that it
does exist because I once saw (and touched) a copy. I will make an
offer publicly right now, if anyone will lend me their copy, and if I can
get permission from the publishers, I will type the entire text into a
troff format file and make it available to the entire net! Any takers?

George B. Smith
National Semiconductor
{amdahl! sun! hplabs! pyramid! }nsc!gbs
[Bill Wulf occasionally reads this group -- any possibility of
reissuing it? -John]