Re: Looking for a reference to "Leaf Functions Optimization"

Zoltan Somogyi <zs@mulga.oz.au>
Sun, 08 May 88 07:55:45 +1000

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Looking for a reference to "Leaf Functions Optimization" steve@nuchat.uucp (1988-05-06)
Re: Looking for a reference to "Leaf Functions Optimization" zs@mulga.oz.au (Zoltan Somogyi) (1988-05-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Sun, 08 May 88 07:55:45 +1000
From: Zoltan Somogyi <zs@mulga.oz.au>

> An optimizing compiler can reduce the register saving/restoring (RSR) traffic
> during function calls by changing the allocation of variables to registers
> for leaf functions. ...
>
> This is a conventional optimization that is used in some compilers. I am
> looking for a reference to it. ...

Here is one:

F. Chow, M. Himelstein, E. Killian, L. Weber: Engineering a RISC compiler
system, Digest of Papers of the Thirtyfirst IEEE Computer Society
International Conference (CompCon 86 Spring), February 1986, pp. 132-137.

It describes the MIPS C compiler which has the optimization you mentioned.

Zoltan Somogyi
UUCP: {uunet,mcvax,ukc}!munnari.oz!zs
ARPA: zs%munnari.oz@uunet.uu.net
CSNET: zs%munnari.oz@australia