Re: What is a scoreboard?

23 Dec 87 23:05:00 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What is a scoreboard? harvard!talcott!motcoh!mark (1987-12-14)
Re: What is a scoreboard? xyzzy! (1987-12-18)
Re: What is a scoreboard? uiucdcs!uunet!geac!daveb (1987-12-24)
Re: What is a scoreboard? sundc!convex!wallach@seismo.CSS.GOV (1987-12-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: sundc!convex!wallach@seismo.CSS.GOV
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Dec 87 23:05:00 GMT
Nf-Id: #R:ima.ISC.COM:-79700:convex:70800001:000:1549
Nf-From: convex.UUCP!wallach Dec 23 17:05:00 1987

/* Written 9:00 am Dec 18, 1987 by johnl@ima.UUCP in convex:comp.compilers */
In article <797@ima.ISC.COM>, ...!harvard!talcott!motcoh!mark writes:
> Can someone explain the technique of using "scoreboards" in
> compiler development? Any references?

        I don't have any hard references, but when I ran into the CDC 6600
hardware it was described as having a hardware scoreboard. With regard
to compilers, it comes up with some of the RISC designs, where the
compiler has to do instruction scheduling and branch delays. I would
imagine that is where the term came from.

        A scoreboard keeps track of the various functional units of the
machine, and will not allow access to a unit, until it finishes. For
example, if divide takes 8 clock units, a scoreboard would indicate that
the any reference within the 8 clock units to either the input and
result registers would pend instructions. Even if the hardware provides
such a scoreboard, on such machines it is usually an advantage to have
the compiler know about these delays, so that it can try to do more
stuff in parallel.
Michael Meissner, Data General. Uucp: ...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!meissner
Arpa/Csnet: meissner@dg-rtp.DG.COM