Side note on linkers (Re: machine independent executables)

harvard!seismo!geac!daveb (Dave Collier-Brown)
21 Aug 87 14:08:54 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Side note on linkers (Re: machine independent executables) harvard!seismo!geac!daveb (1987-08-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 21 Aug 87 14:08:54 GMT
From: harvard!seismo!geac!daveb (Dave Collier-Brown)

In article <678@ima.ISC.COM> bct <bct@its63b.ed.ac.uk> writes:
> I was involved with the production of compilers related to the MUSS system.
>...It was not advertised to the users that the compilers were not generating
>native code, and the linker was doing a little more than linking.

    The same technique was used recently by Dave Hansen at Arizona, when his
group realized that the compilers & assemblers both had partial resolvers
which were duplicated in the linker. And that linking was really little
more than a merge-sort.
    I tried the same trick and the linker ran faster than the system
linker i was using...
--
  David Collier-Brown. {mnetor|yetti|utgpu}!geac!daveb
  Geac Computers International Inc., | Computer Science loses its