Re: compiler books... [from my bookshelf]

amdcad!sun!rtech!rtech!mark (Mark Wittenberg)
Tue, 21 Jul 87 20:57:48 pdt

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: compiler books... [from my bookshelf] decvax!yetti!oz (1987-07-19)
Re: compiler books... [from my bookshelf] amdcad!sun!rtech!rtech!mark (1987-07-21)
Re: compiler books... [from my bookshelf] steve@hubcap.clemson.eduStevenson) (1987-07-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Tue, 21 Jul 87 20:57:48 pdt
From: amdcad!sun!rtech!rtech!mark (Mark Wittenberg)

Two I haven't seen mentioned before are (sorry I don't have the exact titles,
but I don't have the books with me just know):

... something about Parsing: Theory and Practice ...
Roland C. Backhouse

Talks about parsing only. Use graph-theory techniques,
with a lot of stuff about good error-recovery. I wrote
one parser this way and found it was slow, but it's quite
interesting. Mostly deals with top-down parsing.

Compiler Design Theory (I think that's it)
Lewis, Rosenkrantz, and Stearns.
IBS Series.

Good coverage of LL techniques. Also covers code generation,
etc, though not extensively, and not particularly with the
most up-to-date ideas. Uses mini-BASIC as a sample language
(ugh). I thought it was pretty clear though, with lots
of practical info.

Mark Wittenberg
Relational Technology, Inc.
Alameda, CA
ihnp4!zehntel!rtech!mark or ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!mark