Request comments on text.

mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason)
4 Jul 87 20:11:29 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Request comments on text. steve@hubcap.clemson.edu (1987-07-02)
Re: Request comments on text. lm@cottage.WISC.EDU (1987-07-04)
Request comments on text. mason@tmsoft.UUCP (1987-07-04)
Re: Request comments on text. stevev@tekchips.tek.com (Steve Vegdahl) (1987-07-06)
Re: Request comments on text. ihnp4!sask!reid (1987-07-06)
Re: Request comments on text. ma_jpb@ux63.bath.ac.uk (1987-07-13)
Re: Request comments on text. harvard!seismo!utah-cs!shebs (1987-07-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 Jul 87 20:11:29 GMT

In article <252@hubcap.UUCP> steve@hubcap.clemson.edu (Dennis Stevenson) writes:
>Someone suggested to me that the Trembley and Sorenson text is a good
>replacement for Aho, Sethi and Ullman.

I will be using Tremblay & Sorenson for the 3rd year this fall for an
undergraduate (4th year, Applied Computer Science) Compiler Design &
Implementation course.

I originally adopted it because the older Dragon Book was getting rather long
in the tooth, and the new one hadn't arrived yet. I have since examined ASU,
though perhaps in somewhat less detail, and haven't changed my mind.

I feel T&S is better for MY students because it is somewhat more accessible
(perhaps a bit less formal/mathematical). It also has a more balanced
treatment of ad hoc vs yacc based parsing. As this course has been taught on
(and many of our students go on to) a relatively tool-poor environment
(VM/CMS), heavy emphasis on yacc and family are less desirable than they
might be in a totally Unix world. I also like the structure of the book a bit
better, but that's personal taste.

Of course, I'm never totally satisfied, so look forward to hearing of other
texts.
../Dave Mason,
..!{utzoo seismo!mnetor utcsri utgpu lsuc}!tmsoft!mason
..!{utzoo seismo!mnetor!tmsoft utcsri utgpu lsuc}!ryesone!mason
FCTY7053@RYERSON.BITNET