Re: Static analysis of code for "flop counting"?

Eugene Miya N. <eugene@ames-pioneer.arpa>
Wed, 6 May 87 20:31:07 pdt

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Static analysis of code for "flop counting"? fouts@orville (1987-04-17)
Re: Static analysis of code for "flop counting"? allegra!utzoo!henry (1987-04-22)
Re: Static analysis of code for "flop counting"? think!ames!ucbcad!ucbvax!decwrl!mips!sjc (1987-04-23)
Re: Static analysis of code for "flop counting"? harvard!seismo!watmath!orchid!atbowler (Alan T. Bowler [SDG]) (1987-04-26)
Re: Static analysis of code for "flop counting"? eugene@ames-pioneer.arpa (Eugene Miya N.) (1987-05-06)
Re: Static analysis of code for "flop counting"? allegra!utzoo!henry (1987-05-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Wed, 6 May 87 20:31:07 pdt
From: Eugene Miya N. <eugene@ames-pioneer.arpa>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers

In article <552@ima.UUCP> Henry Spencer writes:

>[You can run your assembler through a preprocessor that puts counting code
> before each float operations.]
>This gets you fast, accurate counts without compiler cooperation.
>
> Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

Bullshit.

It's very intrusive (typically around 10%). This is enough to totally
wreck measurement on all and worse: synchronization on parallel codes. If you
want a reference to identifying the problem I will mail it, otherwise
forget it.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya
    NASA Ames Research Center
    eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
    {hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix,menlo70}!ames!aurora!eugene