A plea from your moderator

johnl (John Levine)
Sat, 17 Jan 87 13:03:49 EST

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
A plea from your moderator johnl (1987-01-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

Date: Sat, 17 Jan 87 13:03:49 EST
From: johnl (John Levine)
Expires:

A great deal of mail intended for the submitters of articles to mod.compilers
has always ended up in my mailbox, since I am the moderator of the group. I
used to suppose that this was partly my fault, since the From: line of the
articles pointed back to me, and the real submitter's name was in the Reply-To:
line. I recently fixed my news sender so that the correct name now appears in
the From: line, and my name only shows up in the Sender: line. What do you
know, the next day I got a piece of mail evidently sent by a mailer that ignores
the From: and Reply-To: lines and carefully and incorrectly sent it back along
to the Sender:, me. Please fix your mailers, and take the time to look where
you are sending your missives.

In any event, my policy about misdirected mail remains the same as it has
always been. I throw it away. If it's not important enough for you to send
it to the right place, it's not important enough for me, either. In case you
were wondering, it is easy to tell the difference between mismailed messages
and those deliberately CC'ed to compilers because they are of general interest.
As always, I welcome the latter.

Thanks, I feel better now.