Re: Assembly language programming preferable to HLL ???

decvax!wanginst!infinet!rhorn (Rob Horn)
Thu, 11 Dec 86 17:55:33 est

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Assembly language programming preferable to HLL ??? decwrl!nsc!nsta!instable.ether!orr (Orr Michael) (1986-12-03)
Re: Assembly language programming preferable to HLL ??? watmath!watnot!ccplumb (Colin Plumb) (1986-12-03)
Re: Assembly language programming preferable to HLL ??? harvard!seismo!utah-cs!shebs (1986-12-04)
Re: Assembly language programming preferable to HLL ??? harvard!dartvax!uvm-gen!cavrak (1986-12-05)
Re: Assembly language programming preferable to HLL ??? decvax!wanginst!infinet!rhorn (1986-12-11)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: mod.compilers
Posted-Date: Thu, 11 Dec 86 17:55:33 est
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 86 17:55:33 est
From: decvax!wanginst!infinet!rhorn (Rob Horn)

I recently had this argument ( in specific the situation was comparing
a high quality Fortran 77, an optimized C, and assembler) and received
a very different rationale for the superiority of assembler. It was
empirically argued that persons with sufficient skill to make the
assembler code function also had the requisite skills to understand
the problem and solve it properly. Persons skilled in High level
languages usually did *NOT* (well proven by the code that I am
presently repairing) have the background needed.

The basic problem with HOL's is that the programmers did not
understand the very strict and complex timing rules that must be
followed to make a radar controller and signal conditioner work in a
cost effective manner. Assembler programmers did understand timing
rules. There was a subsidiary problem concerning a more generic
awareness of the behaviour of hardware.

There was also a secondary performance argument, but so far I have
shown that optimized C is running within 80% of the assembler versions.
This skill issue is the first substantive argument that I have ever
seen in favor of assembler. It only applies to one class of
application, but it may be valid. Is this observed correlation of
skills accurate? Is it based on some causal relationship?
--
Rob Horn
UUCP: ...{decvax, seismo!harvard}!wanginst!infinet!rhorn