how about language design?

johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine)
25 Mar 86 19:14:56 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
how about language design? johnl@ima.UUCP (1986-03-25)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine)
Newsgroups: mod.compilers
Date: 25 Mar 86 19:14:56 GMT
Originally-from: darrell@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Darrell Long)

I would like to suggest a topic: language design. Several noted
computer scientists have recently said that language design is
dead. I'm sure that we all have our pet peeves:"Ada is unwieldly"
or "Modula-2 doesn't support exception handling" are examples.

Let's take abstract data-types as an example. Currently,
abstract data-types are all the rage - but no language that I
know of implements them satisfactorily. So, if you had as your
job the task of designing an abstract data-type facility how
would you do it differently?

DL

[I think this is a fine topic for discussion. My language design question
is how you make a high-level language that takes advantage of, as opposed
to tolerates, and underlying segmented data addressing scheme. -John]
Send submissions to: ima!compilers

ima is reachable as { ucbvax!cbosgd | ihnp4 | cca | bbncca | think |
uiucdcs | allegra | inmet | yale | harvard }!ima!...
Arpa mail may make it to ima!compilers@CCA-UNIX or ima!compilers@BBNCCA