Re: Successful compilers for segment

compilers@ima.UUCP
13 Jan 86 20:38:00 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Successful compilers for segment compilers@ima.UUCP (1986-01-07)
Re: Successful compilers for segment compilers@ima.UUCP (1986-01-10)
Re: Successful compilers for segment compilers@ima.UUCP (1986-01-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: compilers@ima.UUCP
Newsgroups: mod.compilers
Date: 13 Jan 86 20:38:00 GMT

[from ihnp4!ho95e!wcs]

In article <136300045@ima.UUCP> you write:

I think you're misreading the original statement. When the author wrote:
"addresses are mappable onto the integers"
it could been talking about assigning pointers to ints, but was
probably talking about mapping the space of valid addresses onto the
mathematical set {1, 2, 3, 4, ...}, presumably 1:1 with a contiguous
subset of the integers - in other words,
"The memory of the machine looks like one long array, not
a bunch of little pieces"
which is untrue on segmented machines.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ
1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs