Re: Compilation Quotient (CQ): A Metric for the Compilation Hardness of Programming Languages

Derek <derek-nospam@shape-of-code.com>
Tue, 11 Jun 2024 22:45:30 +0100

          From comp.compilers

From: Derek <derek-nospam@shape-of-code.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2024 22:45:30 +0100

John, Anton,

>> The other was that in the languages where it is
>> hard to write a valid program, how much more likely is it that the program
>> actually works once you get it to compile? -John]
>
> That is the promise of programming langauges that make it hard to get
> a program to compile: get it to compile, and it is usually correct. I
> am not aware of any empirical evidence that supports this promise.

Requiring that variables are defined before use
decreases incorrectness (which is not a marketable term).

There is a tiny amount of evidence that strong typing may
be a benefit
https://shape-of-code.com/2014/08/27/evidence-for-the-benefits-of-strong-typing-where-is-it/

cost effectiveness of benefits is a question that
researchers avoid (it smacks of grubby usefulness).

If you are interested in evidence, check out
My book, Evidence-based Software Engineering, which
discusses what is currently known about software engineering,
based on an analysis of all the publicly available data
pdf+code+all data freely available here:
http://knosof.co.uk/ESEUR/

If you know of any interesting software engineering
data that I don't have, please tell me about it.