Re: Are transpiling techniques different than compiling techniques?

gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu>
Sun, 17 Oct 2021 15:01:02 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Re: Are transpiling techniques different than compiling techniques? 480-992-1380@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2021-10-16)
Re: Are transpiling techniques different than compiling techniques? tkoenig@netcologne.de (Thomas Koenig) (2021-10-16)
Re: Are transpiling techniques different than compiling techniques? DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2021-10-16)
Re: Are transpiling techniques different than compiling techniques? DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2021-10-17)
Re: Are transpiling techniques different than compiling techniques? gah4@u.washington.edu (gah4) (2021-10-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: gah4 <gah4@u.washington.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 15:01:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Sunday, October 17, 2021 at 11:27:23 AM UTC-7, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

(snip on compilers generating assembly source code.)

> I meant the final executable result is (can be) generated from source
> code by a single C compiler invocation. How this result is obtained in
> detail, in how many passes, by how many related tools, is not so obvious
> and of less interest to the user.

Unix tradition, and still supported by gcc, is to stop after generating the
assembly source file, with the -S option.

Some compilers allow mixing assembly code in with the source language.
Seeing the combined result makes it easier to debug. (Or edit the
generated file before sending it to the assembler.)

Many compilers that don't write an assemblable output file, will generate
a pseudo-assembly listing. Enough to figure out what the generated code
does, but usually nowhere close to input to an assembler.

I mostly learned OS/360 assembly language reading the generated
code listings from the Fortran compilers.
[The code from Fortran G was putrid, but from Fortran H and its successors pretty impressive. -John]