Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI

Walter Banks <walter@bytecraft.com>
Wed, 31 Aug 2016 13:24:07 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2016-08-29)
Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2016-08-29)
Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2016-08-29)
Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI DrDiettrich1@netscape.net (Hans-Peter Diettrich) (2016-08-30)
Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2016-08-30)
Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2016-08-30)
Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2016-08-31)
Re: New experimental back end for C/C++ compiler targeting CLI martin@gkc.org.uk (Martin Ward) (2016-09-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Walter Banks <walter@bytecraft.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 13:24:07 -0400
Posted-Date: 31 Aug 2016 21:52:59 EDT

On 2016-08-30 5:48 PM, BartC wrote:
> I'm mainly familiar with ASM syntax that is strictly line-oriented
> and with a flat code structure.
>
> Then comments can either be tied to a particular instruction, or are
> on their own line and might be assumed to refer to the next block of
> instructions. (But then, they could be continuing a long comment
> too.)
>
> But I'm not sure what you mean by an ASM to ASM translator; from
> your other remarks it sounds like this is an ASM to C translator,
> where the C is then compiled to another ASM (presumably with the
> original comments?).
>
> It still doesn't sound that straightforward when N commented lines
> in the source end up as M commented lines in output. And surely
> sometimes the comments for the source ASM are meaningless on the
> target?

You are mostly correct. I missed making it clear that it is a subset of
the problem here. The asm to asm translator goes through a C
intermediary that is C transparent in that the intermediate C doesn't
show in the generated listing file. What isn't transparent is some of
the comments are on asm lines and others are comment blocks. It is
important that these show up with the correct context even though there
may be code motion in the intermediate translation.

This is a subset to the problem of language to language translation
unless I have missed something in this thread.

w..