Re: antlr

George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Tue, 15 Mar 2016 10:53:25 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
antlr ruben@mrbrklyn.com (ruben safir) (2016-03-13)
Re: antlr gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2016-03-15)
Re: antlr ruben@mrbrklyn.com (ruben safir) (2016-03-22)
Re: antlr gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2016-03-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 10:53:25 -0400
Posted-Date: 15 Mar 2016 11:15:31 EDT

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 05:01:01 -0400, ruben safir <ruben@mrbrklyn.com>
wrote:

>anyone using antlr? I'm taking compiler theory for my masters and they
>are using in with Java in intellij... and I find it a bit difficult to
>get around the IDE.

The IDE is not Antlr - it is IntelliJ with a plug-in that interfaces
to the separate[*] Antlr tool. I've never used IntelliJ so I can't
help you with that.

I have used Antlr via command line, through makefiles, and via
external tool options in a few other IDEs. I haven't used the current
version (4.x), but I have projects based on earlier versions.

[*] Antlr is installed along with the plug-in, but it is separate.

>[There is a newsgroup comp.compilers.tools.pccts but it's been a long time
>since it's seen any traffic. -John]

Yes. There's some discussion of old versions of Antlr. PCCTS itself
was a earlier tool from the same author (Terence Parr). Antlr began
as a more powerful version of PCCTS.

Antlr now is supported mainly on Stackoverflow.com and via a Google
group. see http://www.antlr.org/support.html

But that won't help with the IntelliJ issue. If it's hard to use,
that's the fault of the plug-in (or the platform).

George