Re: unnatural natural language, was Natural Language Parser

George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Thu, 01 Oct 2015 12:41:34 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Natural Language Parser seimarao@gmail.com (Seima Rao) (2015-09-29)
Re: Natural Language Parser gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2015-09-29)
Re: Natural Language Parser rpw3@rpw3.org (2015-09-30)
Re: unnatural natural language, was Natural Language Parser gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2015-10-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: George Neuner <gneuner2@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 12:41:34 -0400
Posted-Date: 01 Oct 2015 21:57:33 EDT

>| > I am looking for a C++ API based English Language Parser. ....
>|
>| You need to be aware that natural languages *can't* be parsed
>| without semantics - i.e. without considering "parts of speech".

>Exactly. Consider the classical "Buffalo" example:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo
> "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo"

My family is from Buffalo.

That particular example actually gets even more perverse than the
article indicates. The staff at the Buffalo Zoo claim that their
animals have a unique method of harassing each other which they call
the "Buffalo buffalo".

If the animals really do "Buffalo buffalo" each other, then it follows
that "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Buffalo buffalo". [That's 10 "buffalos" if you are counting.]
<grin>

FWIW:
    1) The animals in the Buffalo Zoo actually are bison.

    2) Bison are related to buffalo, but are a different species.

    3) Natives pronounce the city's name as "buf4 lo",
            accent on the 1st syllable and without any 'a' sound.
            There are competing theories regarding the evolution
            of this pronunciation: one claim that it is a mangled
            Seneca Indian name, and two different claims that it
            is mangled French.

YMMV,
George
[I think it's time to get back to computer languages, perhaps after we
discuss the derivation of beef on weck. -John]