8-bit processor specific techniques

"lucretia9@lycos.co.uk" <laguest9000@googlemail.com>
Sun, 27 Sep 2015 07:30:54 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
8-bit processor specific techniques laguest9000@googlemail.com (lucretia9@lycos.co.uk) (2015-09-27)
Re: 8-bit processor specific techniques for Ada laguest@archeia.com (Luke A.Guest) (2015-09-27)
Re: 8-bit processor specific techniques cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB) (2015-09-27)
Re: 8-bit processor specific techniques walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2015-09-28)
Re: 8-bit processor specific techniques laguest9000@googlemail.com (lucretia9@lycos.co.uk) (2015-09-29)
Re: 8-bit processor specific techniques cr88192@hotmail.com (BGB) (2015-09-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "lucretia9@lycos.co.uk" <laguest9000@googlemail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 07:30:54 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 27 Sep 2015 15:10:07 EDT

Hi,

I've been looking around for anything related to compiler development for
8-bit processors. I'm looking at a couple of projects and one is a z80 based
project and one is a compiler. I am wanting to target multiple platforms with
the compiler, but I would like to generate z80 as well as 32-64-other-bit
platforms.

Is there any particular research out there that I cannot seem to find that you
know of? Is there anything specific I need to know? Should I just generate
from an SSA form, or is it just ad-hoc stuff?

Thanks,
Luke.
[There are plenty of compilers for 8 bit machines, particulary at
retrocomputing sites, but I don't recall a lot of interesting code
generation stuff. They tend to have so few registers and be so
irregular that little of the optimization stuff intended for code
generation applies. -John]