I have written a book about how to write an interpreter from scratch

mehmet.coskun@gmail.com
Sun, 19 Jul 2015 14:09:47 -0700 (PDT)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
I have written a book about how to write an interpreter from scratch mehmet.coskun@gmail.com (2015-07-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: mehmet.coskun@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 14:09:47 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-Date: 19 Jul 2015 17:29:41 EDT

Hello,

My name is Mehmet. I am the author of "Practical Interpreter Construction".

I am not writing for promoting my book.

It is a more story and a contra attitude than just announcing yet another book about compilers and interpreters.

There are some books teaching compilers. When I decide to write an
interpreter from scratch, I first googled about compiler books.

I bought some of them but liked none of them because of the heavy
theory they include. Also, I don't think that a practical programmer
needs to read an even difficult to carry book.

After some struggle and seek and then cancel, I found out James
Hague's blog post exactly about what books to read if one wants to
write an interpreter or compiler, here it is:

http://prog21.dadgum.com/30.html

As he suggests, I have read Jack Crenshaw's famous "Let's Build a
Compiler" text, http://compilers.iecc.com/crenshaw

It really is amazing text about compilers.

I have learned a lot by reading Mr. Crenshaw's text.

Despite it is a gem and it does teach a lot, there is something that
puts off many in his text: it is target platform is Motorola 68K,
besides, it does not teach much about writing an interpreter. It is
more a compiler book.

Then afterwards, I decided to write a book about writing an interpreter from scratch.

There is parsing and interpreting expressions, strings, code comments,
variables, arrays, while loops, if-else case and functions in the
book.

It is heavy-theory free and a practical book. You don't have to be a
computer science student to read it.

Any programmer can read it.

I hope I will help many programmers to write their own interpreters and learn how interpreters work.

It is a very useful mental process and it really is fun!

Here is the book link on Leanpub.com:

http://leanpub.com/pic

Greetings,

Mehmet Emin Coskun.