Re: I have managed to parse and evaluate using an AST. I got stuck in statements and block

Hans Aberg <haberg-news@telia.com>
Fri, 20 Feb 2015 15:47:38 +0100

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
I have managed to parse and evaluate using an AST. I got stuck in stat mehmet.coskun@gmail.com (2015-02-18)
Re: I have managed to parse and evaluate using an AST. I got stuck in auriocus@gmx.de (Christian Gollwitzer) (2015-02-19)
Re: I have managed to parse and evaluate using an AST. I got stuck in bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2015-02-19)
Re: I have managed to parse and evaluate using an AST. I got stuck in haberg-news@telia.com (Hans Aberg) (2015-02-20)
Re: I have managed to parse and evaluate using an AST. I got stuck in bc@freeuk.com (BartC) (2015-02-21)
Re: I have managed to parse and evaluate using an AST. I got stuck in mehmet.coskun@gmail.com (2015-03-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Hans Aberg <haberg-news@telia.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 15:47:38 +0100
Posted-Date: 21 Feb 2015 10:04:16 EST

On 2015/02/18 20:20, mehmet.coskun@gmail.com wrote:

> I am writing a simple interpreter.

> ...I got stuck in implementing statements, code block, if and while statements.

As already pointed out, it easier to use parser generating tools like
Flex and Bison <https://gnu.org/software/bison/>. The latter has a
complete calculator example in for example C++ - easy to start with, and
then modify.

There is no clear distinction between a compiler or an interpreter, as
one can choose the point of execution; an interpreter might decide to
generate compiler code, and then execute it. This is possible with LLVM
<http://clang.llvm.org>, which has examples on how to get started.

As for code blocks and assignments/definitions, one needs a stacked name
look-up table: the lexer checks the name if it is defined on the table,
and if so, returns its correct grammatical type. If there is an inner
block (environment), one pushes a new level on the name table stack,
which is popped when the environment ends. Definitions always creates
names in the current level, whereas assignments write into existing
variables.