Re: parsability and human factors

glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Sun, 8 Feb 2015 10:32:55 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Choosing a parser for Mathematica input drkirkby@gmail.com (David Kirkby) (2010-11-07)
Re: Choosing a parser for Mathematica input fateman@gmail.com (2015-02-05)
parsability (was: Choosing a parser for Mathematica input) gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2015-02-06)
Re: parsability and human factors derek@_NOSPAM_knosof.co.uk (Derek M. Jones) (2015-02-07)
Re: parsability and human factors gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2015-02-08)
Re: parsability and human factors derek@_NOSPAM_knosof.co.uk (Derek M. Jones) (2015-02-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 10:32:55 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 08 Feb 2015 11:24:20 EST

Derek M. Jones <derek@_nospam_knosof.co.uk> wrote:

(snip, I wrote)
>> I went to a talk, not so long ago, by someone actually studying people
>> using computer languages. It seems that many people who write papers
>> about how easy or hard they are to use don't actually do any tests
>> with real people.

> Yes, plenty of arm waving and personal opinions abound.

OK, here it is:

The talk was titled "The Programming Language Wars".

http://web.cs.unlv.edu/stefika/Papers.php

is a list of some of the papers by the author, and

paper number 7 is one people might find interesting.

The authorization system doesn't allow one to copy the link, but if
you go to the page you should be able to read it, even without an ACM
account.

There is very little research into how people actually use features in
programming languages, though all designers seem to already know
without studying.

He did actual tests with both experienced and new programmers.

-- glen