Re: Question about inter-thread stack references

glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:46:17 +0000 (UTC)

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Question about inter-thread stack references ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2015-01-15)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references seimarao@gmail.com (Seima Rao) (2015-01-16)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references lkrupp@nospam.pssw.com.invalid (Louis Krupp) (2015-01-16)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2015-01-17)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references gneuner2@comcast.net (George Neuner) (2015-01-18)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references monnier@iro.umontreal.ca (Stefan Monnier) (2015-01-18)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references kaz@kylheku.com (Kaz Kylheku) (2015-01-18)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references ivan@ootbcomp.com (Ivan Godard) (2015-01-18)
Re: Question about inter-thread stack references gah@ugcs.caltech.edu (glen herrmannsfeldt) (2015-01-18)

From: glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:46:17 +0000 (UTC)
Posted-Date: 17 Jan 2015 14:52:38 EST

Louis Krupp <lkrupp@nospam.pssw.com.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 23:54:57 -0800, Ivan Godard <ivan@ootbcomp.com>
(snip)
>>Is anyone aware of language/thread package/hardware rules about required
>>semantics for such usage? Is it explicitly permitted, explicitly banned,
>>stated to be implementation defined, stated to be undefined, or simply
>>not mentioned?

> This sounds a bit like what was once known as Burroughs Large Systems
> (then Unisys A-Series and now Clearpath or something) architecture. It
> had processes, not threads, but processes can be related and can share
> data. Every process has a stack, one stack can have a reference into
> another stack, and unfortunately, that's about all I can remember at
> the moment.

Is this the one that depends on the compiler for its security?
That is, there is no memory protection, but the compiler will only
compile programs that can't access things that they are not supposed to.
Only programs supplied by the system, or compiled by compilers supplied
by the system, are allowed to run. (No downloading apps!)

-- glen
[Downloading? This was the 1960s. The security issue was about making
sure that backups kept the security info intact, and you couldn't
install a bad program by loading it from a fake backup tape. -John]