ELF and DWARF tools ?

"John R. Levine" <johnl@iecc.com>
29 Dec 2014 00:42:03 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ELF and DWARF tools ? johnl@iecc.com (John R. Levine) (2014-12-29)
Re: ELF and DWARF tools ? cbergstrom@pathscale.com (=?UTF-8?B?QyBCZXJnc3Ryw7Zt?=) (2014-12-29)
Re: ELF and DWARF tools ? haberg-news@telia.com (Hans Aberg) (2014-12-29)
Re: ELF and DWARF tools ? walter@bytecraft.com (Walter Banks) (2014-12-29)
Re: ELF and DWARF tools ? cc.63dw@gmail.com (Charles Chester) (2014-12-30)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "John R. Levine" <johnl@iecc.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 29 Dec 2014 00:42:03 -0500
Posted-Date: 29 Dec 2014 00:42:57 EST

I am working on a project which involves building a compiler toolchain for
yet another architecture. The obvious object format to use is ELF and
DWARF, and I'm trying to figure out the least painful way to do that.

One possibility is the GNU bfd/binutils route. That's very complete, and
very large. Another is libelf and libdwarf, which seem (from googlage) to
have good reputations.

Because I am a lazy programmer, I would like to do as much of the
prototyping as I can in python. I see PyBFD which claims that it wraps
much of the BFD libraries.

Any suggestions? Are there python wrappers for libelf or libdwarf? How
hard is it to add a new architecture to BFD or libelf?

Signed,
Bitwhacked